Wednesday 13 December 2017

Spectrale - ▲

SPECTRALE - ▲ (LADLO Productions CD 2017)
In 2016 a three-way split CD with In Cauda Venenum / Heir / Spectrale has been released. A very interesting release indeed. More recently Heir unleashed their debut full length album "Au peuple de l'abîme", which is a superb effort. And now time came for Spectrale and their debut record titled "▲" (??!!). 
Spectrale is quite special and different band to everything else I have heard so far from Les Acteurs De l'Ombre Productions. This project, led by The Great Old One's Jeff Grimal, plays strictly acoustic instrumental music. No distortion, no aggression nor anything what you would normally consider as (black) metal. Instead, it's quite mesmerizing and beautiful journey through melancholic, yet dark world of its creators. And damn, I have to admit that it's been a very pleasant and intriguing experience. Even though Spectrale doesn't play music, which I would listen to often, I have enjoyed it a lot. The acoustic guitar work, plus some cellos, piano, a bit of drumming etc, is great, I like this music, how it all sounds, the atmosphere and I have to admit that this album brought me some sort of calmness and relaxation. I played it loud, laid down and just closed my eyes... and I was gone. It's quite interesting experience, definitely... I wish that "▲" maybe had some more vocals, as they appear basically in just one song... but it doesn't make me like this album any less.  
A shorter review this time, but I just don't know what else can I write about "▲". Better experience it yourself. 
Standout tracks: "Landing", "Monocerotis Part1", "▲" 
Verdict: 70/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment