Friday 9 February 2018

Voodus - Serpent Seducer Saviour

VOODUS - Serpent Seducer Saviour (SHADOW Records - 10"MLP 2017)
Couple of months ago I had a chance to buy few records from Shadow Records. They were all stuff from Swedish black metal bands, which were new to me, but interested me hugely after checking their songs on YT. Voodus was one of them. It's a killer new project, formed by people, who were in Jormundgand before. Voodus debut release was "NightQueen" EP from 2015, which I'm yet to find somewhere. In 2017 "Serpent Seducer Saviour" EP was unleashed and it's just superb piece of black metal. Someone may say that Voodus is just another Watain influenced band from Sweden and thus it's little worthy. But I would really think twice before I say such rubbish. Even if there're obvious similarities to Watain (because they are!), there are also similarities to other Swedish bands. Dissection!!! Necrophobic!!! You want more? 
Voodus fits into their native black metal scene by showing what best it has to offer, so there's no reason to moan about it. Especially if "Serpent Seducer Saviour" presents some extremely good black metal. There are two songs and both have that very possessing aura, which may freeze your blood and creates the most vicious and eerie feel. Both songs are superb, played in rather slower pace, but the combination of aggression, viciousness and harmonies works just perfectly. "Path of Hekate" is more straight forward and kind of memorable, with sinister melodies and bestial, obscure sound. But I like "Flesh into Spirit" more. This is a twelve minutes long epic beast, build upon some slower yet malicious riffage... and harmonies, which infected my mind immediately. The atmosphere is quite sorrowful sometimes, almost melancholic... I dare to say that some of these melodies are just beautiful and insanely catchy. Yes, think of the best Dissection stuff combines with Watain, and the result is Voodus. 
This band blew me away really, "Serpent Seducer Saviour" is just fantastic and I'm looking forward to hear more from Voodus. I know that they're about to release their debut album in 2018, can't wait then! In the meantime I got myself a CD of Jormundgand "Visions of the Past, Which Has Not Yet Come to Be...", to make my collection more complete.  
Standout track: "Flesh into Spirit" 
Verdict: 80/100 

No comments:

Post a Comment